Sunday, July 8, 2012

Museum of Scrimpinology


When Jeff and Pat James asked me to visit their Museum of Scrimpinology earlier this year whilst attending one of our events, I had no idea what to expect.  They only open it for 2 weeks in the year they told me to book a date well in advance if I wanted to take along a party from the History Society.  Now I know why.  The Museum is a treasure trove of memorabilia, a real trip down memory lane - an amazing collection of household items, tools,  games, everyday objects from the past as well as an old signal box and railway items, a mining section from Hook, school classroom and cinema equipment and even vintage cars.  "Oh I remember that" was heard over and over again as everyone delighted in looking and handling objects remembered from their younger days. 
What an amazing achievement! To have gathered all this material together and more than that, to have organised and presented it a way to make it so accessible. I loved the humorous touches too - the lady with eyes which lit up in the telephone box, the legs poking out from under one of the cars. Such a lot of care and love has gone into it - and all done for love as no funding has gone into it.  Thank you so much Jeff and Pat for a wonderful evening and for your warm welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment